In this topic, you will learn about, the Difference between the Monitor and Television.
Definition of Monitor
A monitor is a device that we commonly use with other hardware of a computer such as a video card to display the video and graphics information produced by it. Monitors are no less than television, but the resolution of the monitors is greater. These are usually placed over the desk rather than hanging on the walls.
Earlier, these monitors were made with the help of a picture tube (cathode ray tube) that renders the video image. These images could be represented in colors or monochrome (black and white). The fundamental picture controls provided to the monitors are horizontal, vertical, contrast, sharpness, brightness, etcetera. The primary intent behind the designing of the monitors was to deliver accuracy and stable image.
Features of a monitor
- Size: The available computer monitors are not very much larger in size. As these are operated from a specific distance, it would become so inconvenient if your monitor size is too big and another reason is the resolution. However, in gaming, the large size monitors can be used because it gives the effect as the observer is moving from its place.
- Resolution: When the size of the monitor screen increases its resolution decreases. Resolution can be understood as the sharpness, where the fundamental picture element pixel is smaller in size and located close to each other; the resolution is high.
- Refresh rate and frame rate: The refresh rate of the monitors is good because we need a good input response in the monitors.
- Input lag: Due to the high response rate, there is a negligible input lag present in the monitors.
- Image quality: The images produced in the computer monitors are more realistic and sharp.
- Viewing angle: The viewing angle of computer monitors is 110 degrees approximately.
Definition of Television
Similar to monitors, televisions are also used as the electronic device for viewing video content. Nowadays, these televisions are manufactured in magnificent sizes and as size increases the cost of the TV also increases. To make a television, the radio frequency tuner and the audio speaker is added to the monitor, and then the resulting appliance would be a television.
The purpose of the radio frequency tuner is to receive the television signals from any of the methods such as through cable TV system, broadcasting, or satellite-dish system. These radio frequency signals are comprised of both audio and video signal; the audio signal is supplied to a picture tube for displaying it while audio is sent to the speaker. To select a channel from the various channels, the tuner is adjusted (for the conventional TV’s).
However, these days the television or monitors are merged in a single device, which can be used either as the television or a monitor with the computer system. Earlier, it was not possible to merge them as both the devices process different signals such as monitors were able to process video signals while the television could process only the Radio Frequency signals.
Features of Television
- Size: Televisions are available in all sizes, but the large size TV’s attract more customers as the visibility of larger TV’s is good and covers a larger area and wider angle.
- Resolution: The resolution of Televisions is less due to their size. The 4K and 8K television will have a good resolution, but when we compare them with the 4K and 8K monitors whose size is smaller than 4K and 8K TV, then the resolution of monitors must be better than the televisions.
- Refresh rate and frame rate: We know that televisions have lower refresh rates and frame rates. Usually, televisions with higher refresh rates are used for just interpolation.
- Input lag: The televisions provide low input latency and response time.
- Image quality: As televisions are intended to provide a better viewing experience. Therefore, the images produced on television are more appealing.
- Viewing angle: Televisions provide a wider angle to watch it, and one can watch television from any angle in the range of 160 degrees.
Comparison Chart between the Monitor and Television
|BASIS FOR COMPARISON||MONITOR||TELEVISION|
|Curved Screens||Impossible to make||Available|
|Number of Input Jacks||More||Less|
|Image Quality||Sharp and Accurate||More Appealing and smoother|
|Viewing Angle||110||160 more or less|
Key Differences between Monitor and Television
- Among monitors and television, the size of the televisions manufacturing at present is greater than the monitor.
- Television comes with curved screens also such as OLED and QLED, but this is not possible in the case of Monitors.
- The number of input jacks in monitors is greater than that of the televisions.
- Both, a monitor and television can provide high-end image and video and up to 8K display, but due to their smaller size, the monitors have better resolution.
- The refresh rate of monitors is high. In contrast, television works at a lower refresh rate. Due to this reason, the input lag in television is more as compared to computer monitors.
- The viewing angle of television (i.e., 160°) is much wider than that of a monitor which provides a maximum of 110° degrees of the viewing angle.